SWRC Waste ReForum 2019
Home Grown: Local problems. Local solutions.
April 10 - 12
Sheraton Cavalier Hotel, Saskatoon
Home Grown: Local problems. Local solutions. -- will explore ways that Saskatchewan businesses and communities can create a more self-sufficient environment for waste diversion. We will share experiences and ideas that could take root in our home towns.
Wednesday, April 10
9:00 a.m. — 4:30 p.m. Optional Pre-Conference Workshop: Applying Design Thinking to Getting People to Recycle Right—Stephanie Yong, Facilitator
1:30 p.m. — 4:30 p.m. Bus tour: Lafarge Aggregates & Loraas Organics
Sponsored by Loraas
Lafarge accepts concrete, asphalt, bricks and shingles for recycling. Loraas Organics is the first commercial compost facility of its kind in Saskatchewan. Using the Gore System's covered aerated static pile technology, Loraas Organics turns compostable feedstock into Class-A compost in a relatively short period of time in year round conditions. This technology is in use at over 200 facilities around the world, and is valued due to its high degree of control for odours and emissions, vectors, and leachate management. Current capacity is 24,000 tonnes per year, with scalability to 48,000 tonnes with a year's notice.
1:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m. Walking Tour: Remai Modern Art Gallery
Remai Modern’s building was designed to be animated with art and create transformative experiences. The striking new museum sits on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River, offering intimate spaces, dramatic expanses, and stunning views of the South Saskatchewan River and prairie skies. Spanning four levels, Remai Modern has 11 gallery spaces over three floors, learning studios, a theatre, restaurant, store, lounges, play areas and numerous multi-use spaces.
6:00 p.m. — Opening Reception: Denim & Diamonds
Join us for appetizers and drinks at the Sheraton“s Top of the Inn and enjoy breathtaking views of the river. Get into the Home Grown spirit by decking yourself out in Denim & Diamonds!
Thursday, April 11
8:00 a.m. — 8:45 a.m. Breakfast
Sponsored by GFL Environmental
8:45 a.m. — 9:00 a.m. Welcome
9:00 a.m. — 10:00 a.m. Opening Keynote: Lessons for Local Communities
Dr. Neil Seldman, Institute for Local Self-Reliance
Sponsored by Affinity Credit Union
10:00 a.m. — 10:30 a.m. Break
Sponsored by Titan Carbon-Smart Technologies
10:30 a.m. — Noon Plenary Session — Local Waste Innovators — Lightning Talks
Innovators with solutions to local waste issues each have five minutes to present their great idea.
Sponsored by SARCAN Recycling
Noon-1:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. — 1:30 p.m. Sask Waste Reduction Council Annual General Meeting
1:30 p.m. — 3:00 p.m. Concurrent Session A: Cooperative Local Solutions
- The Bike Diversion Project: a Collaboration between the Bridge City Bicycle Co-op and the City of Saskatoon’s Landfill Operations — Pam Groat
- Saskatoon Car Share Coop — Meghan Van Buskirk
- The Cooperators
1:30 p.m. — 3:00 p.m. Concurrent Session B: Municipal Tools for Waste Reduction
Sponsored by Crown Shred & Recycling
- Pay as You Throw — Daniel Mireault, City of Saskatoon
- Municipal Strategies for Tackling Commercial Waste — Nadine Sauder, City of Calgary
3:00 p.m. — 3:30 p.m. Break
Sponsored by Call2Recycle
3:30 p.m. — 5:00 p.m. Concurrent Session C: Food Waste Workshop — Lori Nikkel,Second Harvest
Topics will include the story of Second Harvest — the largest food rescue operation in Canada; recent research on food loss and waste conducted with the Value Chain Management Centre and a new website that any community can use — foodrescue.ca
3:30 p.m. — 5:00 p.m. Concurrent Session D: Using Technology to Solve Local Waste Problems
Sponsored by CasCell Trading Group
- Thor TURBO De-packager – Packaged Organic Waste Solution — Kevin Pedretti, Scott Equipment Company
- Glass Implosion Technology — Pierre-Andre Mongeon, Machinex
- Flaxstic Phone Cases — Jeremy Lang, Pela Cases
6:00 p.m. — 7:00 p.m. Reception
7:00 p.m. — 9:00 p.m. Home Grown Banquet
— Sponsored by Sask. Association for Resource Recovery Corp.
Sask. Waste Minimization Awards Ceremony — Sponsored by SaskTel
Friday, April 12
8:15 a.m. — 9:00 a.m. Breakfast
9:00 a.m. — 10:00 a.m. Closing Keynote Speaker: Indigenous Perspectives on Sustainability
— Dr. Jacqueline Ottmann, University of Saskatchewan
Sponsored by Electronic Products Recycling Association — Saskatchewan
10:00 a.m. — 10:30 a.m. Break
10:30 a.m. — Noon Concurrent Session E: Home Grown Up North
- Northern Saskatchewan & the New Generation: Developing a Strategy to Clean up the Land — Glen Strong, QM Points Contracting
- Take Back the Tundra: Addressing Waste Management in Northern and Remote Indigenous Communities — Lani Warsh, Scout Environmental
- Regional Waste & Recycling in Northern Saskatchewan — Betty Hutchinson, Lac La Ronge Regional Waste Management Authority
10:30 a.m. — Noon Concurrent Session F: Evolving Markets, Evolving Responsibilities
- Plastic Markets — Lorenzo Donini, GFL Environmental
- The Changing Future of Recycling — Making it Circular -- Jodi Tomchyshyn London, JTL Squared Consulting
- Plastics in the New World — Joe Hruska, Canadian Plastics Industry Association
Noon — 1:00 p.m. Lunch
Thanks to Cleanfarms for being our Grassroots & Students Sponsor!
Thanks to City of Saskatoon for sponsoring the Conference Environmental Performance